Last night, I dropped in at BYU for the Microsoft Ready To Launch event held by the Association for Systems Management (ASM), affiliated with the Marriott School of Management (MSM) and their Information Systems Management programs (ISYS, MISYS).
The demo had some false-starts (quite a few), but once it got going, the show was actually really good. I am impressed with how intelligent Visual Studio 2005 is compared to even v. 2003 from just a few years ago when I actively programmed. Components seem to be loaded in a JIT fashion which is nice, and I liked that the built-in webserver needed what appeared to be zero configuration for local testing, and it only serves to localhost so you don’t need to worry as much about security.
There was a lot of talk in the room about loosely-coupled communications between systems and platforms. It seems, from my perspective, that MSFT has all their ducks in a row for creating and consuming well-formed data (XML/RSS, etc), enabling APIs and web 2.0-ish applications to be developed all-the easier.
Data connection components, grids and lists, select/update/delete functions and other repetetive data-access tasks were simply and quickly created, almost making an n-tiered web application look easy to make! (grin)
All in all, the show was good, the questions were provocative and, oh, the prizes were sweet. They gave out tons of good stuff including 5 copies of VS 2005, SQL Server 2005, and BizTalk Server 2005, of which I was the lucky recipient of one copy. Suh-weet. I couldn’t help but wonder of any of the attendees would be candidates for some of the work I have…
Thanks ASM and Microsoft for a very cool event.
No comments:
Post a Comment