March 24, 2005

TO: C|NET--Trackbacks aren't useful if I can't use them

I just noticed a sweet article on cnet that I was going to blog about. Then, I noticed they have Trackback enabled--very cool... or, so I thought.

I can't easily get the Trackback URI.

This is because I manually post my trackbacks, using Haloscan over Blogger. Therefore, I need to copy the Trackback URI so I can ping it.

But, on cnet's pages that divulges the trackback URI, (for example, this one, or this one), I can not select the text! Maybe this is CSS or JavaScript wizardry, or just a browser bug for IE users, but the bottom-line is, I can't easily get to cnet's Trackback URIs.

Which, beside making me have to really want to trackback to an article, sure takes all the fun out of it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi. Ned Rhinelander from CNET engineering here.

Thanks for pointing out that the trackback links are not selectable. I don't know how to explain how we didn't pick that up before!

FWIW, all CNET articles have a meta tag that enables 'autodiscovery' of trackbacks, so for most blogging software you shouldn't need to copy+paste the link. I don't know specifically about blogger, but i think it's likely that all you need to do is paste in a reference to a news.com story and it will work. Just be sure that you include the full url to any story that you reference.

PS: I saw this posting because a trackback did get through, but was flagged as suspect by our filters.

If you have any questions please email me and ned.rhinealnder at cnet dot com. And, we'll make sure the trackback url is selectable in the near future.

 

Posted by ned rhinelander (CNET)

Anonymous said...

Ned,

Thanks for the speedy reply. I admit I was shocked to see that so quickly.

Since blogger doesn't have its own trackback tool, I've built Haloscan.com's trackback into my blog. I have to manually ping trackback URIs.

I haven't tried putting in the URL of the article to see if Haloscan can fish out the autodiscovery--hmmm. 

Posted by Rob

Anonymous said...

You're right. With Haloscan you have to really want to link via trackback. First you have to write your comment to generate a permalink - then you have to log into Haloscan, paste in your permalink plus that of the article you're linking to. It's just clumsy. You should try emailing blogger. I have and I figure if enough people suggest it, they'll build in trackback. 

Posted by David Kluskiewicz