January 18, 2005

Oingo Boingo: Wireless 'HotSpot' Finder

Banner 10000015

When it comes to mobile-officing, Boingo really does have their act together. I'm a T-Mobile wireless customer, but Boingo has my HotSpot business hooked up.

Often, with my work, I am in-between appointments, on the run, or trying to squeeze in one more call before my next meeting begins. I definetly subscribe to the Full Engagement philosphy and when my energy level is high, I work hard to get as much accomplished as I can.

That means I can't spend a lot of time finding a place to download my email or check a website. I can't afford the hassle of "sneaking" into a hotel lobby, pretending I belong there, and constantly checking over my shoulder to see if I am about to be asked to leave.

With Boingo, I just pull out my laptop and the simple hotspot directory shows me exactly where to go to chomp my next megabyte--all offline. Also, their free connection app (that anyone can use) sniffs out wireless nets that my Linksys, Netgear and (of course) Windows wireless connection apps consistenly miss.

Getting Started:

  • First, ahem, it helps to have a laptop, PDA or other wireless-capable device.
  • Next, get a Wireless Card for your laptop. My favorite brand is Netgear.
  • Third, visit Boingo. Check their directory and be sure you'll be able to use the service in your area, or in areas you travel to frequently.
  • Next, if the service is in your area, register for their wireless hotspot service.
  • Follow their easy instructions for download and installation.
  • Get out there, knowing when a crucial download is needed, you'll have directions, instructions, and even a toll-free customer support number if anything goes wrong!

Good Move!

To me, Boingo is as fun as war chalking--even without the black cat suit, utility belt, and Mission Impossible theme music.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.